Description of Tomas's Switch King system

General questions and comments.
tomas
Administrator
Administrator

Description of Tomas's Switch King system

Post by tomas » Mon 22 Nov 2010, 22:08

I am one of the two developers of Switch King and this post describes how I am using Switch King.

An Asus Eee PC 1005HA with Windows XP is used as server and is on 24 hours a day. This is actually a netbook, but it has some advantages such as low power consumption (about 15 W) and built-in UPS ;) This computer is also used as a file server and to backup all my computers in the network.

Using Switch King I am controlling about 20 devices and most of them are for lighting (both relays and dimmers). For the lamps I am using the built-in sunrise/sunset function except for a few where I bring in solar insolation in the Goteborg area as a data source and control based on that (described in this guide: http://www.switchking.se/en/use-solar-i ... dusk-relay).

In my bedroom I am using a lamp with a dimmer to simulate the sunrise (described in this guide: http://www.switchking.se/en/simulate-su ... ur-bedroom). I am using one additional lamp with relay to boost light further after I have ramped up the first one to 100%. This has proved really helpful to wake me up in the morning during the dark winters in Sweden :) In the evening I set the dimmer to 20% which create a nice cosy atmosphere.

I also control my stereo equipment together with Apple Airport Express routers to stream music from the computer. That way I can sit by the computer, turn on all the equipment and then start streaming music from for instance Spotify.

When Tellstick Duo becomes available I am planning to add dusk relays, motion detectors and temperature sensors to the system.
Tomas | Switch King

tomas
Administrator
Administrator

Using scenarios

Post by tomas » Fri 03 Dec 2010, 20:52

Scenarios in Switch King can be really useful! When inviting guests to our home and it gets late I want to prevent lights from being turned off too early. For this reason I use three scenarios linked together. The first one, Partystarter, will turn on the stereo equipment, but lights will continue to run by schedule. This way I can start the scenario well ahead before the guests arrive without turning on all lights.

At 9 pm the Partystarter scenario ends and is followed by the scenario Party. This scenario will keep lights and stereo turned on until 3 am, except for bedrooms where lights go by schedule all the time. (Note that lights can be turned on before 9 pm since they are all running by schedule before that.)

At 3 am the Party scenario ends and is followed by my Sleep-in scenario. The sleep in scenario will make sure to turn off all lights and prevent them from being turned on in my bedroom early in the morning. The Sleep-in scenario ends at 11 am and after that everything runs by schedule again.

So, from the time I start Partystarter until I wake up the day after I don't really have to touch the system 8-) If guests leave early I can always use my iPod Touch and manually stop the Party scenario to turn off lights.
Tomas | Switch King

OliverMarsh
1 star
1 star

Re: Description of Tomas's Switch King system

Post by OliverMarsh » Wed 23 Aug 2023, 13:53

There are many ways to promote music nowadays. Spotify is just one of the social platforms that allow people to recognize you. I created my account, so far there are already a lot of subscribers and also a lot of listens. I have a tip, check right here if you so also I want to have an account with a lot of subscribers and you can also use it.