Wait with sending signal if receiving signal

Support questions for server and client (Windows, iPhone, Android, Linux)
cyberde
3 stars
3 stars

Wait with sending signal if receiving signal

Post by cyberde » Mon 10 Feb 2014, 08:54

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to detect if the telldus is receiving a signal to wait with sending out a signal from SK so that the signals do not interfere.
This way it should be less frequent that signals block each other and that the signal from SK is always sent out and most likely received by the devices.

Also how's the new version coming along? Which hardware will it support (eg a better Telldus?)?

Cheers!

Martin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wait with sending signal if receiving signal

Post by Martin » Mon 10 Feb 2014, 20:40

It is not possible to detect whether a Tellstick is currently receiving or not. To get around this, Switch King has options that delays processing inbound signals to allow devices that transmits to complete their tasks.

The next version is coming along, but slowly due to overwhelming "day-to-day work" in our normal jobs. We take piece by piece...
I would almost have wished that I wasn't so occupied at daytime :)

RFXTrx is the most probable candidate for support.
Martin | Switch King

cyberde
3 stars
3 stars

Post by cyberde » Tue 11 Feb 2014, 08:26

I see, too bad... I've set the Receive delay to 2500 by now. Assuming you mean that setting.

Well, I'm already happy that you guys are still working on it and I'm looking forward to it as well.
For as far as I've read, the RFXTrx is better than the telldus (which I think has a pretty weak sending signal), so can't wait :)

Martin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Martin » Tue 11 Feb 2014, 08:41

The problem with simultaneous receive/transmit is actually not really due to the TellStick but related to the transmitters.

If the receiving delay does not cut it, you can also try to force your way through the received signals.
The TellStick has no "collision detection" exposed to it's subscribers, meaning that Switch King can request a signal to be sent out at the same time as the device is actually receiving data.

But - this also has the "advantage" of that it's possible to sneak through in one of the signal gaps. An IR detector might transmit during 3-4 seconds but these 3-4 seconds includes a number of gaps. If you lower the receiving delay and increase the number of send signals for the targeted device, there is a big chance that you will get one or a few signals through while the IR detector has not finished transmitting. This will also lead to a lower response time, since Switch King does not have to wait the 2,5 seconds to "react" to the inbound signal.
Martin | Switch King

cyberde
3 stars
3 stars

Post by cyberde » Tue 11 Feb 2014, 08:49

That's actually a pretty good idea, I'm gonna give that a try. Thanks :D

krambriw
4 stars
4 stars

Post by krambriw » Tue 11 Feb 2014, 13:52

I made some tests with the TellStick Duo and the RFXtrx just to see how this is handled by the devices and drivers/services.

Test scenario: I do repetitive button presses on a RF remote so that it is transmitting *continuously*. While doing this, both devices are receiving signals. I then try to send a command during reception of signals (to turn on or off a lamp or similar).

- the Duo is more or less blocked while the remote is transmitting, if you are lucky, it can happen that a repeated command slips through as Martin writes while a single command normally seems to be lost and not forwarded once the reception is ended

- the RFXtrx seems to have a buffering inside the device since if I stop pressing the button on the remote, when reception finally ends, my command sent only once is actually sent out and the lamp is turned on (or off if this was the sent command)

Best regards
Last edited by krambriw on Tue 11 Feb 2014, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

cyberde
3 stars
3 stars

Post by cyberde » Tue 11 Feb 2014, 14:02

krambriw, that sounds very promising! Thanks!
Now I really can't wait for SK to support the RFXtrx since I'm dealing with this situation about every day. I have to sync devices multiple times a day because of the motion and door sensors I have in my house.
I will try to submit a ticket to telldus as well to see if they can integrate it in a future firmware.

[edit]
You're right: http://www.rfxcom.com/store/Transceivers/12103
No transmitted messages lost due to the unique CSMA-CA technology to avoid RF collisions

@Martin
If you need any beta testers? Do count me in, will also check the plugin compatibility then since I also wrote some plugins for my home automation.