Problem using switches.

Support questions for server and client (Windows, iPhone, Android, Linux)
VegardAa
1 star
1 star

Problem using switches.

Post by VegardAa » Sat 15 Dec 2012, 22:07

This is how I setup my wall-switches to controll my lights:
A scenario. If Switch A is on, then light A is on. Same if off
I have done the same for Switch B and light B.
Light A works withouth problems. Same for B...
BUT! When I use switch B, then I can't use switch A any more, I have to go into Switchking and select Scenario "Light A off" then I can turn it on and off with the switch. But this stops working when I use Switch B. Why? Am I doing it wrong?

Martin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Problem using switches.

Post by Martin » Sun 16 Dec 2012, 09:56

Which version are you using and which priority have you set on your scenarios?
Martin | Switch King

VegardAa
1 star
1 star

Post by VegardAa » Sun 16 Dec 2012, 19:39

The scenarios have normal priority.
Client version 3.0.1.0
Server version 3.1.0.5

Telldus Center version 2.1.1

Martin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Martin » Sun 16 Dec 2012, 20:48

This is a known limitation with scenarios.

When a scenario with a specific priority has been activated, another scenario with the same priority cannot be activated automatically.
If this would be allowed, Switch King would risk end up in an infinite loop of scenario activations if two scenarios with the same priority could be activated by a rule being fulfilled.

So:
- If a scenario with normal priority is running, a scenario with low priority cannot be started automatically (when triggered by rule)

There is one exception to this rule, which was implemented by request. Within each priority level, scenarios are sorted by name, enabling scenarios within the same priority level to be automatically started. This is probably what you see.

If you have:
- A scenario named "A" with normal priority and
- A scenario named "B" with normal priority and
- A scenario named "Anything" with high priority

Scenario "B" or "Anything" can be started automatically even if "A" is running (due to that "B" comes after "A" in the alphabet).
If "B" is running, "A" cannot be started automatically (same priority, lower letter) but scenario "Anything" can be started automatically due to it's higher priority.

We are aware of that the scenario implementation is limited, and we do have plans for this in the future and in our roadmap.
Martin | Switch King

VegardAa
1 star
1 star

Post by VegardAa » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:03

So.. I cant use two switches to control two lights using switchking?
Or can I just change the priority on one of them?

Martin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Martin » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:16

Any particular reason why you are using a scenario? You can often achieve the same functionality by using group schedules activated by rules.
Martin | Switch King

VegardAa
1 star
1 star

Post by VegardAa » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 10:23

Not any reason other than that was the way I got it to work. I'm new to SK.
Is there a guide to how I can setup this using groups? I just want switch A to turn light A on/off. And Switch B to turn light B on/off.

I just ordered more devices, so I guess I'll have to buy a SK to get more then 5.
For the price, functionality and support, I'll be glad to pay for SK :-)

Martin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Martin » Mon 17 Dec 2012, 11:10

• Create a new Data Source with signals from Duo used as the source. Select the entry that comes origins from your switch in the Duo-window when the data source is created.
  • Create a group schedule with a single "On" (at for example 00:00) and create a rule for the schedule saying that the schedule is to be active when the data source created in the first step equals "On".
  • Link the group schedule to the device
The advantage of group schedules compared to scenarios is that you can set different rules for different days of the week and times during the day. Scenarios are limited to being automatically triggered only when a criteria has been fulfilled (such as when a switch is being flipped to "On").

This means that, when using a group schedule, your switch can dim the lights to 30% at night, but turn them on at 100% during daytime.
Martin | Switch King

VegardAa
1 star
1 star

Post by VegardAa » Fri 30 May 2014, 15:35

Hi.

I did what you said and that worked better. But for some reason I'm having problems.
When I click a switch(on) it take about 8 seconds before the lights comes on. Sometimes I have to click it on - off - on to get it to work. I've just received a new Tellstick DUO (the old one was not working as it should). But I still have this problem.
The receive delay is set to 250 ms, send count to 2 and send interval to 500ms..

Martin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Martin » Sun 01 Jun 2014, 21:22

8 seconds is a _very_ long time. Such a long delay makes me think that the switch (or another device) is actually blocking the frequency. Some switches/detectors are known to send signals during many, many seconds - blocking outgoing signals from the Duo as a result.

This is "by design" due to the firmware in the switches (some are better than other) but it might actually be possible to sneak through the switch sending the signals by increasing the send count, lowering the receive delay and the send interval.
Martin | Switch King