Server DB lost in upgrade

Support questions for server and client (Windows, iPhone, Android, Linux)
pekkak
2 stars
2 stars

Server DB lost in upgrade

Post by pekkak » Mon 16 Sep 2013, 18:02

I wanted to upgrade to the latest version of the server. Setup noted that I first have to uninstall the current server and no data will be lost. However, after installing the server and starting the client it prompted for the licence key and everything is lost except the devices I assume the client loaded from Teldus. Any change to recover my schedules, data sources etc.??

Martin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Server DB lost in upgrade

Post by Martin » Mon 16 Sep 2013, 19:26

There should be a database backup in the folder "Backup" that contains your schedules and devices as they were prior to the upgrade.

Have you previously modified/replaced/renamed Switch Kings database file? The setup process should leave the database file "as is".
What version did you upgrade from?
Martin | Switch King

pekkak
2 stars
2 stars

Post by pekkak » Tue 17 Sep 2013, 05:04

Somehow the latest real backup is from last year:
sk.jpg
I lost the data of current year's data sources and the system modes and scenarios I had develop this year. :(

SK server version was 3.2.0 and I haven't touched the database earlier. The computer is running Windows 8 with "home" account with no admin rights. It was interesting that Switch King server did not appear in Control Panel's programs with that account and I had to log off and log in with my admin account in order to uninstall. Perhaps this has something to do with the loss of the DB. I assume the DB size was over 100 MB.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Martin » Tue 17 Sep 2013, 07:27

We are sorry that you lost your data during upgrade. Windows Installer should leave the database intact but for some reason it didn't.
Can it be that you installed the server with - for example - a user account and uninstalled it using another account? In this case, it might be possible that the Windows Installer then lost track of which files to keep and which to delete.

If you have File History turned on in Windows 8, you might be able to find the file there. Other than that, I'm afraid data is lost.

Unfortunately we don't have full control over the install/uninstall process. It is a standard installation package where some files are marked as "do not touch", but for some reason that has not been the way in your case. :(
Martin | Switch King

pekkak
2 stars
2 stars

Post by pekkak » Tue 17 Sep 2013, 14:46

I cannot remember, but it is possible that I installed the SK server with "home" account and typing in the admin password when prompted, but uninstalling was only possible with admin account logged in. Since upgrading to Windows 8 I have always received an error message when quitting SK client about not able to save the changes (or something like that). Perhaps similarly making the DB backup was denied by the operating system but setup continued nevertheless?