Database max size

Support questions for server and client (Windows, iPhone, Android, Linux)
pekkak
2 stars
2 stars

Database max size

Post by pekkak » Thu 13 Dec 2012, 19:49

Default setting for number of data source values in data source history is only 6,000. How much can I pump this up without Switch King database performance issues? I would like to see e.g. one year history of all my temperature sensors (aprox. 1,500 values per day per sensor).

Martin
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Database max size

Post by Martin » Thu 13 Dec 2012, 20:22

The max size for the database is 140TB, so no problems with the size itself. :shock:

However, a large number of values in combination with schedules that are activated based on rules would give you performance issues.
In versions v3.1 and earlier, you would also suffer from heavy memory footprint.

From v3.2, a new caching feature is implemented that will lead to decreased memory footprint as well as better performance.
Having that said, we still has some performance tasks on our ToDo-list.

What you can do to improve performance, limit memory footprint etc:
  • Use Switch King v3.2 or later (released this week)
  • Configure Switch King to not store all values - limit the server to save the values (for example) every 10 minutes instead of each and every value
  • If possible, don't tie schedules with rules to a data source that stores values very often and stores them for a long period of time.
    If you need to connect schedules to such a data source, create a copy of the data source but configure the copy to save a specific number of values and then connect your schedules with rules to the copy of the data source instead of the one you are using for statistical reasons.
  • Do not use hysteresis in rules bound to data sources
  • If possible, spool values over to another database and use that database as a resource for statistics. This is, however, not supported by Switch King so you would need to have another way of presenting the data
Martin | Switch King

pekkak
2 stars
2 stars

Re: Database max size

Post by pekkak » Thu 13 Dec 2012, 20:50

Tack så mycket!!